Facts about The Vila
- 12
King John V spent approximately 250 million gold coins on The Vila's construction and decoration, representing nearly 40 percent of Portugal's annual treasury during the 1750s.
- 11
During the 1760s, The Vila's extensive gardens required a permanent staff of 347 groundskeepers and hydraulic engineers to maintain its complex water systems and botanical collections.
- 10
Sixty-six limestone statues of Portuguese kings and saints line The Vila's main garden terrace, each carved between 1755 and 1760 by master stoneworkers from northern Portugal.
- 09
Each of The Vila's 47 fountains required individual hydraulic systems fed by underground aqueducts spanning over 5 kilometers beneath the palace grounds.
- 08
Twenty-three marble staircases wind through The Vila's palace complex, each featuring hand-carved balusters depicting scenes from Portuguese historical events and royal lineage.
- 07
Artist Francisco Vieira Lusitano spent 12 years painting elaborate frescoes across 27 rooms in The Vila's palace, completing detailed ceiling scenes depicting Portuguese royal mythology between 1756 and 1768.
- 06
In 1747, the royal library at The Vila housed over 80,000 volumes, making it one of Europe's most extensive private collections during the 18th century.
- 05
Thousands of workers labored for over 18 years to construct The Vila's intricate network of aqueducts and fountains, which required revolutionary hydraulic engineering techniques for 18th-century Portugal.
- 04
Approximately 500 rooms comprise The Vila's architectural complex, making it one of the largest royal palaces in 18th-century Europe by interior space.
- 03
Azulejos hand-painted tiles cover approximately 40,000 square meters of The Vila's interior walls and exterior facades, representing 18th-century Portuguese ceramic artistry.
- 02
Over 7,000 azalea and rhododendron plants flourish in The Vila's botanical gardens, which were expanded significantly during the 19th century renovations.
- 01
Constructed in 1755, The Vila in Portugal served as a royal hunting lodge for King John V before becoming a significant historical monument.